THE ISLE LA MOTTE PRESERVATION TRUST
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR PROGRAM COORDINATOR
Job Title: Program Coordinator
Type of Position: Year-round Part-time position
SEND APPLICATION LETTER, RESUME, AND CONTACT INFO FOR THREE REFERENCES TO
APPLICATIONS DUE NO LATER THAN FEBRUARY 18, 2020
The Program Coordinator reports to the Board of Trustees and plays a critical role in helping the Isle La Motte Preservation Trust (ILMPT) to achieve its mission. (See mission statement below.) The Program Coordinator will be responsible for the management and coordination of operations (e.g., fundraising, budgeting, the development and implementation of programs as well as internal and external communications.
The Program Coordinator’s position will involve a twenty hour week from May through October and a five hour week from October through May. The schedule will involve varying hours during the daytime, evenings and weekends depending on the particular activities of each week.
Education and Minimum Qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree and a graduate degree or equivalent professional experience in management of a non-profit organization.
- A collaborative approach to management and excellent communication skills.
- A strong commitment to the mission of the ILMPT and an interest in learning enough of the science necessary to explain unique geology of the preserves to docents and visitors if necessary.
The Program Coordinator must be a resourceful administrator who can collaborate with the president, board members, committee chairs, and volunteers on all activities and tasks related to ILMPT functions. Skills required for the position include:
- Organizational skills to assist in setting up and maintaining an efficient office (programs, activity schedules, filing system, inventory and supplies, etc.).
- Computer skills (especially proficiency with word processing and financial applications and spreadsheets) and ability to learn and apply computer applications that support the work of ILMPT.
- Writing skills to put together or edit drafts of documents such as press releases, grant proposals, and the annual newsletter.
- Experience with non-profit financial operations
- Ability to learn ILMPT’s operating practices and to suggest revisions to improve efficiency.
- Ability to work independently and to complete all projects in a timely manner.
- A flexible and creative approach to team work
Duties and Responsibilities
Generally, the Program Coordinator is responsible for managing the day-to-day tasks that keep ILMPT running smoothly. This includes a variety of tasks (under the five areas of activity listed below) that range from overseeing office operations, maintaining records and files, collecting and analyzing data, coordinating volunteers, scheduling and planning events, to planning and monitoring program budgets, and helping with community outreach and fundraising.
More specifically, for the ILMPT’s FIVE main areas of activity, the responsibilities of the Program Coordinator encompass, but are not limited to, the following:
- Attend evening Board Meetings once a month at the “Farmhouse” (site of the office and meeting room) or via phone
- Coordinate with president to send out email announcements and updates to board members.
- Set up and break down meeting room for board meetings.
- Coordinate with president (or other designated board member) for refreshments, when needed.
- Present a monthly report to the Board.
- Organize and archive meeting agenda, minutes, and other handouts to ensure the safe and accurate maintenance of all ILMPT records.
- Maintain and continue the development of the organization’s mailing lists of donors, funding institutions, etc.
- Seek funding sources specifically to support the Program Coordinator position on a long-term basis.
- Assist board members with grant proposals.
- Participate in occasional Development Committee meetings.
- December: Work with president on creation and dissemination of annual funding appeal/ newsletter.
- January: Work with president in development of annual budget.
- Coordinate telephone and email communications
- Maintain and help to develop mailing lists, including Mailchimp for e-news, the sign-in log of visitors, donor lists, volunteer lists etc.
- Work with board members on press releases and assist with the ongoing maintenance of the ILMPT web site.
- Assist chair of the education committee in the development of docent education and related educational activities.
- Coordinate and oversee the docent program.
- Coordinate field trips for schools and other groups.
- Organize and coordinate docents to lead field trips.
- Coordinate with the chair of the maintenance committee to ensure maintenance of buildings and grounds
- Ensure maintenance of indoor and outdoor exhibits
- Assist with such events as Pro-Series Concerts, “Sundays on the Rocks” in July and August, receptions, lectures, TR Day, and the Annual Board Dinner.
- Keep track of reservations for Pro-Series Concerts or other events requiring reservations.
- Work with board member to coordinate volunteers for event refreshments, set up and clean up.
In addition, the Program Coordinator may be assigned other tasks not designated here, in order to assist with the effective operation of ILMPT.